Thursday 15 May 2014

Wood White





There may not have been many opportunities for bird photography over the past couple of days but the butterflies have more than compensated.

As I was up at Iping Common looking for Tree Pipits and Woodlarks I decided to head over the border into Surrey to visit Botany Bay Wood in the hope of seeing Wood Whites. I did not attempt to count them but just along the main ride there must have been thirty to forty of them flying. I was also pleased to find that they are an easy butterfly to photograph. They do not seem to be concerned by a close approach or by the odd bit of gardening to give a better shot.



Wood White


Much darker markings on this one





There were also dozens of a little orange moth flying which I later identified as a Speckled Yellow Moth.



Speckled Yellow Moth


The rides also had lots of Brimstones and for a change they seemed to be settling to feed regularly giving plenty of picture opportunities.



Brimstone


On the way home I called in at Kithurst meadow. I already had lots of shots of the Duke of Burgundys but I wanted a Small Blue and I knew they had been seen there. I struggled to find one at first but then someone suggested that I look outside the meadow on the bank by the side of the road and sure enough there were two specimens out there.



Small Blue


Small Blue


I also found a Dingy Skipper. Not unusual  except that that this is the first shot I have taken of one with closed wings.



Dingy Skipper


And a Damselfly which I am reasonably confident in identifying as a Variable Damselfly which would be a first for me. I got it wrong, its an Azure Damselfly, wishful thinking on my part.



Variable Azure Damselfly


A couple of other Butterflies spotted the next day. The first is a Speckled Wood at Park Copse Pagham Harbour. Nothing unusual in the butterfly but the lighting is good.



Speckled Wood


And an Orange Tip taken just north of the Black Rabbit.



Orange Tip



The Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary is the next butterfly on the list.









No comments:

Post a Comment