Tuesday 17 March 2015

Crested Tits


Tuesday 10th March

The target for Tuesday was to get a good picture of a Crested Tit but I hadn't realised just how difficult it would be. We were out on site at Loch Garten by just gone seven thirty and by midday I hadn't got a single shot. In fact I had only had five sightings of the Crested Tits and none of those had been for longer than a few seconds.

With the wind chill factor it was sub zero temperatures, my feet were like blocks of ice, and my fingers were so cold I was having difficulty pressing the shutter button. I had pictures of other birds but the Cresties were just to fast for me and were flying off before the camera had focussed.


Coal Tit

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Tree Creeper

We decided to have a break and go and look at some Whooper Swans that were nearby at Boat of Garten then on to Lochindorb for the Red Grouse.


Whooper Swan

Red Grouse



The Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus scoticus) is a subspecies of the Willow Ptarmigan         (Lagopus  lagopus). It differs in that it does not adopt a winter plumage of white.


Nearly too close for the camera

Great fun but then it was time to go back for another go at the Cresties and fortunately they seemed to have slowed down a bit. I assume that whilst we were watching in the morning they were taking and caching food but in the afternoon they seemed to be staying longer and feeding on the food offered.


Crested Tit










A good start but I think I need to go back and try again.








No comments:

Post a Comment