Monday 15 February 2016

Water Pipit



Monday morning and it was a choice of go back to Titchfield Haven and risk dipping the Penduline Tits for the fifth time or find a new target. Fortunately there had been a few reports of a Water Pipit on the Cuckmere and having missed out on seeing one last year I decided to give it a go.

The directions were really good. Two hundred metres north of the Charleston reedbeds on the east bank of the Cuckmere (just by the metal gate). I found the spot but there was no Water Pipit or for that matter no small birds at all. A two hour wait in really cold weather and I was ready to call it a day. As often happens I was about twenty metres down the track when a bird flew in over my head from the west side of the river. A quick dash back to the gate confirmed that it was the Pipit.

The pictures are not great, it was a long way off and did not stay on view for long but I was happy to have got the record shots. It did stay in the area, feeding on the flooded part of the field, just south of the gate, but once on the ground it was even harder to photograph.


Water Pipit




Next stop, once I had my circulation back, was Tide Mills. The tide was out so there was no chance of Purple Sandpipers on the pier but the Black Redstart did put in an appearance. It looked to be a fabulous bird but I just could not get it framed the way I wanted. If it sticks around I will be going back for another try.


Black Redstart




A Meadow Rock Pipit feeding in the puddles makes a nice comparison with the Water Pipit above. The Water Pipit being a much smarter looking bird with a richer brown above and extensive white below.


Meadow Pipit - whoops made a mistake its a Rock Pipit
I was so pleased to have got the Water Pipit that I didn't really give it any thought. Thanks to Ian Ballam for pointing out the error.


Other pictures taken recently on my abortive trips looking for Pendulines - the ubiquitous Stonechat, always good for a picture.


Stonechat




A Goldcrest in the Wetland Centre at Arundel


Goldcrest

and a Nuthatch in the New Forest




But that still leaves me with the problem of getting to see the Penduline Tits.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, The pic of the Meadow Pipit looks to me to be a Rock Pipit with the dirty smudgy streaks on the breast/belly. Meadow Pipit would have much cleaner streaks. Good to see you're still getting some pics in this poor weather this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, I was so pleased to have got the Water Pipit that I didn't really give any thought to the Meadow/Rock Pipit. Thanks for pointing out the error.

      Delete