Monday 6 June 2016

Four-spotted Chaser




I have spent a couple of days and have walked a good few miles of river bank already this year looking for the more unusual dragonflies and in particular the Club-tailed Dragonfly. There have been a couple of sightings on the Arun and I know where to look for them, or at least I thought I did, but so far nothing. There have been a few possibles at a distance but nothing that I could photograph or really be certain about.

Instead I have had to fall back on some of the more common and more easily photographed species. In particular the Broad-bodied and Four-spotted Chasers. At least they put down occasionally and allow you to get a bit closer.



Four-spotted Chaser








Broad-bodied Chaser


I am hoping that it is just everything being a bit late this year. The eastern side of the country has been cold and very windy for a couple of weeks now but with the sun coming out and the temperatures going up, things should start to improve. It is odd though, that the much smaller and weaker flying Damselflies seem to be about in good numbers.


Common Blue Damselfly


Blue-tailed Damselfly


Blue-tailed Damselfly in teneral state just after emerging


Azure Damselfly


Common Blue Damselfly


Common Blue in mating heart


I am not sure on the one below. I think it is probably a Common Blue female.








Dragonfly hunting has been a bit disappointing so far and with spring seeming to be squeezed into shorter timescales this year I am running out of time to see all my targets.



No comments:

Post a Comment