Friday 19 July 2019

Dune Helleborine





On Wednesday I found myself up in Liverpool with Sue, sightseeing and watching the Netball World Championships! I had no choice - you make these rash promises when the consequences of the decision are off the radar. All you want is a quiet life and it's easier to go along with the idea. The consequences, four hours sat amongst a bunch of screaming school girls watching a game you don't really understand, is not the quiet life I was looking for.

The architecture and engineering of the Anglican Cathedral was some consolation but my real reward was squeezing in a day at Southport giving me access to Ainsdale NNR and its Dune Helleborines Epipactis dunensis. It all looked good until I saw the weather forecast showing heavy rain all day.

Only one chance though, so we had to give it a go and 7am Friday morning found us searching the reserve and dodging the frequent heavy showers. The edges of the Pine plantations proved to be the most productive areas and we soon had a good number of sightings.



Dune Helleborine



Dune Helleborine - some flowers not opening much



Dune Helleborine


We eventually found a few in a more sheltered spot including a couple of much larger specimens.



Dune Helleborine



Dune Helleborine



Dune Helleborine


It was nice to get my first sighting of Dune Helleborines but getting the pictures was a lot harder. The lighting was poor, the camera was wet, I couldn't see through my glasses, my shoes and trousers were soaked and I knew that heavier rain was on its way. Can't complain though, the pictures aren't perfect but I got my record shots and a bonus in what I think are Green-flowered Helleborines - Epipactis phyllanthes var pendula.



Green-flowered Helleborine



Green-flowered Helleborine



Green-flowered Helleborine



Not a particularly good picture but hopefully proof of the Green-flowered Helleborines above.


There were also Pyramidal Orchids growing close by but we had seen enough and headed back to the hotel. A quick dry and change of clothes and we were just in time for breakfast, which was all the better for the early morning exercise.

I did try to get into Martin Mere in the afternoon but we didn't get past the Visitors Centre. The rain came on heavy and Sue didn't want to get wet again. Bit of a mistake going there really as she then got loose in the gift shop and it turned out to be an expensive afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment