Monday 11 May 2020

Garganey





There have been a few reports of Garganey putting in appearances along the South Coast this spring. However, with restrictions on travel and with most stopping for no more than a day, seeing any of them was out of the question. Fortunately we then had one on the Ferry Pool at Pagham Harbour that stayed for three days. I couldn't make the first two but with pandemic restrictions being relaxed on the third I was able to take my daily exercise around the harbour area. Better still, with all the RSPB car parks being closed the only place to park was the lay-by just by the Ferry Pool.

This is usually a secretive bird that stays hidden in the reeds but this one was easy to spot, feeding out in the middle of the lake, amongst a good selection of other ducks and waders. I managed a couple of pictures but unfortunately it was a good distance away and spent most of the time with its head underwater skimming for food.



Garganey


Garganey


Always a nice bird to see but I couldn't stop, I had my daily exercise to complete. A quick picture of a Black-tailed Godwit, one of many on the pool and I was on my way.



Black-tailed Godwit


Just a quick birding session but it was good to see a some birds again and to be able to publish a blog. It will be a while until things get back to something resembling normal but I am at least making a start.




No comments:

Post a Comment