Tuesday 5 May 2020

Lockdown Birding




Like many others I didn't see lockdown as a problem. I have a garden, there are birds, butterflies and a wealth of macro photography opportunities with the insects that inhabit the garden. It would be a chance to increase my knowledge of the natural world and would open up new areas of interest.

I was wrong. The birds have been limited to the usual half dozen or so garden regulars. Flyovers have been few and far between and of course don't really give picture opportunities. There have been a few butterflies through but other than the Holly Blues none have stopped to pose for a picture. There are  some flies and hoverflies around but nothing like the varieties I had expected to see. It seems almost as if I see the same three or four insects in the same location every day. I knew that Hoverflies could be territorial but assumed that this was just for a short period as they moved through an area. Do they establish long term territories?



One from the garden - not the smartest looking Blackbird that I have ever seen but the song was wonderful 


I usually take my daily exercise along the seashore when the tide is out. There is never anyone close and the sense of open space and freedom is invigorating. In these times I am truly fortunate in living just a couple of hundred metres from the sea. Unfortunately birdwise it has been a bit disappointing.



Sanderlings on Worthing Beach



There are flocks of Turnstones and Sanderlings along the tide line, the occasional Swallow, House Martin and Sand Martin going over, but I seem to have missed the Wheatears and where are the sea birds. This should be peak migration time but I have seen little sign of any Skuas, Divers, or Sea Ducks going through. Are they in lockdown as well or have they all gone up the west coast route this year?



My first Swallow of the year 


My longer walks have given me a little more variety. Ferring Rife was full of bird song, Reed Warblers, Cetti's and Blackcaps but also a lot of dog walkers. Few birds were displaying but I did get decent views of a Whitethroat.



Whitethroat


Widewater also had some decent birds on offer with Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel and Dunlin on the lagoon. Looking out to sea was not quite as interesting with nothing seen flying through or sitting on the sea other than a few of the usual gulls.



Bar-tailed Godwit


Whimbrel walking through what looks like Sea Campion flowers


Dunlin


And a couple of shots from before the current restrictions, both taken at Brooklands Park, a Pochard and a Song Thrush.



Pochard




Song Thrush



It's good to get a few decent pictures and to be able to produce a blog again. The opportunities are all around me, I just have to manage my expectations and see the beauty in the common species rather than go looking for the exceptional.






No comments:

Post a Comment