Sunday 17 January 2021

Red Kite

 



It has been a while since I last wrote a blog. My new Years resolution was to be all around getting out more, taking more pictures, and writing more blogs. Then the third lockdown came along and my resolution was blown apart. I couldn't even find any interesting insects in the garden to write about.

I usually take my daily exercise close to home but I have manged a few short trips into the countryside, carrying the camera to record obliging birds and a sandwich which I always eat on the move so it doesn't count as a picnic!

It has resulted in a slow start to the birding year but there have been a few good opportunities. Probably the best being this perched up Red Kite. I first saw it at a distance and took a couple of record shots then gradually moved closer taking pictures as I went, all the time expecting it to take flight.


Red Kite



There wasn't much cover around but then with raptors and Owls I have usually found it best to stay out in the open rather than try to creep up on them. You just have to take a zig-zag approach and take your time, stopping regularly and pretending to be a sheep. It watched me closely but did not seem concerned. I took around fifty shots as I approached. These last two being at around twenty metres where I was stopped by a barbed wire fence.

I was then backing off slowly, happily surfing the shots on the back of the camera, when the kite had the last laugh by making a low pass over my head whilst I was looking the wrong way. Probably just it's way of warning me off its territory and of making it clear who was in control.



Red Kite



A walk around Shoreham Fort and Harbour gave me this female Black Redstart in the boatyard but not sightings of the Purple Sandpipers that frequent the pier or of the Dartford Warbler that has been seen along the beach walk.



Black Redstart


A couple of weeks before Christmas I had been over to Marsh Farm at Sidlesham to look for the Richards Pipit. I did see it and I did get a picture but the bird was distant and there were frequent bursts of torrential rain,  so the pictures were poor.



Richard's Pipit


I went back in early January with the idea of getting a better picture and of adding it to the new year bird list but I was a day too late. It was seen the day before I went but has not been reported since. Still a walk over from Pagham and around the farm and Sidlesham area, gave a substantial boost to my new year list.

It is strange to recall that ten years ago Cattle Egrets were rare birds and I would travel miles in an attempt to see one. Now they are a common bird on the Selsey peninsular. This one amongst twenty plus feeding in one of the Marsh Farm fields.



Cattle Egret



Long-tailed Tit



Song Thrush



Stonechat

Also, whilst passing through Arundel I decided to stop off for a walk around Swanbourne Lake to look for the Mandarin Ducks. It was probably the riskiest walk I have taken all year. Arundel was packed with cars and people and there were groups feeding the ducks, walking and picnicking all around the lake. Fortunately the Mandarins prefer the more secluded areas.




There is no doubt, that the countryside and a few hours out (socially distanced) birding, can make all the difference during these difficult times.





No comments:

Post a Comment