Monday 4 July 2022

Garden Moths





I don't think I have been out birding once during June and the only bird I have added to my year list is a Spotted Flycatcher I saw in Wales. Holidays and other commitments have worked against me but at least being at home more has given me the chance to catch up on Moths in the garden.

The Spring months which tended to be cold and windy gave very poor catches but it all changed once we hit June and it has been nothing but moths ever since. We had a week in mid Wales which gave me some new species (see previous blog) and the trap in the back garden has been producing a good selection if perhaps not in the numbers I saw last year.

It is always good to find a Hawkmoth in the trap or, as I often find them, sitting on the top of the trap. This years return so far is four species but unfortunately they are all ones I have seen before. I wait with anticipation for a Death's Head or Oleander. There is still time to see one this year but it's a bit like waiting to win the lottery.



Privet Hawkmoth - Sphinx ligustri


Lime Hawkmoth - Mimas tiliae


Elephant Hawkmoth - Deilephila elpenor



Small Elephant Hawkmoth - Deilephila porcellus



The Alder Moth, Camomile Shark, Burnished Brass, and Golden-brown Tubic are all new for the garden list.



Alder Moth - Acrnicta alni



Chamomile Shark - Cucullia chamomillae



Burnished Brass - Diachrysia chrysia



Golden-brown Tubic - Crassa unitella


The rest are just a selection from those I have seen in the garden during June. It's just nice to see and to review the pictures from time to time.



Blair's Mocha - Cyclophora puppillaria



Miller - Acronicta leporina



Oak Nycteoline - Nycteola revayana



Bramble Shoot Moth - Notocelia Uddmanniana



White Ermine - Spilosoma lubricipeda



Nettle-tap - Anthophila fabrician



Marbled White Spot - Deltote pygarga



Maidens Blush - Cyclophora punctaria



Red-barred Tortrix - Ditula angustiorana



Snout - Hypena proboscidalis



Common Wainscot - Mythimna pallens



Sycamore - Acronicta aceris



The end of June brings up the 250 on the Moth Garden List.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment