Wednesday 5 June 2013

A Few Quiet Days Birding





Its all been very quiet on the birding front lately. I have been out plenty of times but its just the usual suspects around, I have not managed to see anything new or unusual. I have had some target birds in mind, Turtle Dove, Flycatcher, Little Tern, Osprey and they are about, if only in small numbers, but so far not visible when I am there. Still it's great getting out into the countryside early in the morning, it really makes you feel alive. I know my luck will change soon, I just need to go birding even more often to make it happen!

The following pictures are the best from the past weeks birding and where better to start than the ubiquitous Whitethroat.



Whitethroat - Seaford Head



Linnet - Hope Gap


Another Whitethroat - Hope Gap



Rye Harbour looked like giving the best chance of seeing the Little Terns and at first I thought I was in luck, but you start to get suspicious when you realise they are not moving.



Perhaps if I added a bit of blur in Photoshop ......


Plenty of Common and Sandwich Terns there and a few Mediterranean Gulls on the edges of the Black-headed Gull colonies.



Sandwich Terns nesting amongst the Black-headed Gulls


Sandwich Tern


and in flight


Common Tern with half a fish


Mediterranean Gulls



I also called in on Arlington Reservoir. There are Turtle Doves around there somewhere and I often hear them calling but I have yet to see them. The Osprey did drop in whilst I was there but unfortunately I was off investigating the river just below the weir which is usually a good place for Damselflies and I missed it.

I did get to see a Great Crested Grebe trying to swallow a large fish. It took about a quarter of an hour to get it down as the bird was getting tired and the fish kept slipping out. It did succeed in the end but as it sailed off into the distance it still had the end of the fishes tail sticking out of its mouth.



Great Crested Grebe with its catch


Just a quick swallow


Proving a bit harder than expected - keeps slipping out


All gone - nearly!


 Do birds suffer from indigestion?

Nice to see so many so many fledglings about as well. This Pied Wagtail was busy trying to keep three hungry youngsters happy.



Already bigger than its mum.


And to finish off a nice sunset shot of a Sanderling in full summer Plumage.



Sanderling






No comments:

Post a Comment