Monday 27 October 2014

Red-breasted Flycatcher


I was lucky enough to see the Red-breasted Flycatcher on Wednesday evening, when it was first reported and I came away with a life tick and a couple of reasonable record shots. The photographs were taken in light rain and gathering gloom and as I did not think that it would hang around for long I was more than happy with my pictures. The trouble was that it was still there four days later and there were clearly better shots to be taken.


A magnificent male Red-breasted Flycatcher 

I didn't go over the weekend as there was a marathon in the area on the Saturday and the Sunday would also be very busy both with tourists and bird watchers. Monday looked to be good weather and it should have been a lot quieter. Or so I thought, but when I arrived there were about twenty people already there. The majority where photographers, probably like me, tempted out by the prospect of getting a picture in decent lighting.




I don't usually go to twitches but I have to admit that it was nice to be able to touch base with a lot of old friends. It was interesting with it being mostly photographers, no one got too close, no one flushed the bird just to get their tick, it was all very polite. Everyone was happy just to stand and talk waiting until the bird came to them. Not the usual rabble that tends to be reported on SOS.





On Wednesday evening, when I had seen it, the bird was a lot faster moving and more difficult to photograph. Today it seemed happy to perch up and look at the strange humans who were lined up to admire it. It was not being completely cooperative though as it usually managed to have a branch in front of it or a shadow across its face. Some of these pictures have been doctored in Photoshop to get rid of the offending glitches.










A great bird to see and great to get some decent pictures for a change. Other birds seen on the day were mostly Stonechats and charms of Goldfinches.


Goldfinch


Stonechat


Stonechat

Some great pictures today but there are always the ones that you miss. I did not get a shot of the Flycatcher with a fly in its mouth and even at 1/800 sec I could not stop the blur that was this Wren as it moved through the picture. Five shots in a couple of seconds and this is the best I could get.


Not even worth attempting to take the shadow off the Flycatcher.








No comments:

Post a Comment