Thursday 20 December 2018

Costa Rica - San Jose




Most of the next day was spent travelling out of the Tortuguero area by boat and then back across country to San Jose a stopping off point on the way to the Pacific coast. Fleeting viws of a Spotted Sandpiper on the river bank got me interested. This is a bird I have never managed to see back in England. The pictures were poor but there was no need to be disappointed, this was to become one of the most common birds I would see on the coast.

There was also another Tyrant Flycatcher. This one I assume is a Boat-billed Flycatcher.



Boat-billed Flycatcher


We had a quick tour of San Jose but I couldn't really see any birding opportunities. I did consider a taxi over to the Bougainvillea Hotel to have a look around their gardens but it was getting a bit late in the day. In the end I settled for a pair of Crimson-fronted Parakeets on the building opposite the hotel that we stayed in.



Crimson-fronted Parakeets





I am not a great fan of big cities but San Jose did have one thing going for it, The Costa Rica Craft Brewing Company. Easily the best beer I found in the country and a pleasant way to end the day.

Travelling again the next morning we had an interesting break at Mi Finca restaurant on the the Pan American Highway. They had Scarlet Macaws in the gardens behind the restaurant. They appeared to be free flying but had apparently been resident there for some years. Fortunately I saw some later in the holiday so did not have to wrestle with my conscience over whether to count them or not.



One of Mi Finca's Scarlet Macaws


and the ever present Turkey Vultures


Our destination on the Pacific Coast was the RIU Palace a large all inclusive hotel complex. I had my doubts about staying there but to be fair, the standard was good, it never seemed to be too crowded, and it was easy to walk out along the beach or into the surrounding countryside. It proved to be an ideal base for the week we stayed there.

See the next installment for birds around the hotel area.




No comments:

Post a Comment