Friday 28 June 2019

White-letter Hairstreak





The blog should really be about the Black Hairstreak. I made a third trip over to Ditchling Common to see them. As before they were visible but they were staying high in the trees. Others have had good picture opportunities this year but it just hasn't worked for me. Strange when I had such good views last year.

My best shot for this year below and just to prove I can take a decent picture, one from last year.



Black Hairstreak



Black Hairstreak  Ditchling Common 2018


I saw three large Fritillaries but none were stopping and I could not be sure on identification between Dark Green and Silver-washed. There were also a couple of views of Purple Hairstreaks but again staying distant at the tops of trees.

There were also a good few Painted Ladies around and a couple of Red Admirals. The later giving a closed wing view for long enough for me to get a picture. Interesting but as always with this butterfly the depth of red that we see with the eye just doesn't get recorded when photographed.


Red Admiral


Looking for a bit more success I moved on to Hollingbury Park to look for the White-letter Hairstreaks. There are always a good display of thistles here and once down and nectaring these butterflies are easier to photograph.



White-letter Hairstreak - male



White-letter Hairstreak - female


And a few Damselflies recorded at Woods Mills.



Azure Damselfly



Beautiful Demoiselle



Large Red Damselfly





No comments:

Post a Comment