Thursday 20 September 2018

Bugs and Beetles





Time is always short and photographs of insects usually need a good bit of research to enable names to be put to them. Hence they tend to get dumped into a folder to be looked at later. A recent dull and windy afternoon, the folder finally gets opened and the first one I look at is a Hawthorn Shieldbug. A bit of a coincidence as I had just been looking at on-line Atlas of Sussex Shieldbugs. What a great resource, lots of data and a clear demonstration that the information that you add is actually being used.

Thought I would add my Shieldbug but then realised that I hadn't made a note of where I saw it. I need to be a bit more focused next time.


Hawthorn Shieldbug -  Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale


Insects are a fascinating subject when it comes to photography. I have an aversion to netting them and sticking pins in them but getting a decent picture in their natural environment is always a great challenge. Perhaps, if I ever tire of taking pictures of the same old birds over and over again, I will find the time to get more involved.

Until then here are just a few shots from around the Sussex area.



Spotted Longhorn Beetle  -  Rutpela maculata



Four banded Longhorn Beetle  -  Leptura quadrifasciata



Rhopalidae Corizus hyoscyami



Cardinal Beetle  -  Pyrochroa serraticornis



Black-headed Cardinal Beetle  -  Pyrochroa coccinea



Red Lily Beetle  -  Lilioceris lilii



Green Rose Chaffer - Cetonia aurata     (Not Sussex)



Green Rose Chaffer - Cetonia aurata    (Not Sussex)



Mating Bloody-nosed Beetles  -  Timarcha tenebricosa     (this one I have blogged before)



Green Tiger Beetle  -  Cicindela campestris



Thick-legged Flower Beetle  -  Oedemera nobilis



Harlequin Ladybird Larvae  -  Harmonia axyridis



As always, if I have made any mistakes in identification, please let me know. Flies Hoverflies and Bees to follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment