Sunday 14 April 2019

Dotterel





I haven't posted much lately, which really sums up my year to date. I have probably seen the same number of birds as usual but the picture opportunities have been few and far between. Unfortunately that goes for the Dotterel as well. Seen it, but only managed a really poor record shot of a distant bird. However, as it's a lifer for me, poor as it is, it does get published.



Dotterel


I have spent a good few days, in the past, wandering around the Sussex Downs hoping to see them. The Balsdean area is said to be a regular stopping off point but it hasn't worked for me. Seen plenty of Wood Pigeons up there but no Dotterel. A one off visit to the Chosely Drying Barns in Norfolk also proved fruitless. I was getting to the point of thinking I would have to try a long distance (for me) twitch up to Pendel Hill or Danby Beacon to see them. Then last week there were reports of a pair of Dotterel showing well at Cheesefoot Head just over the border in Hampshire.

Showing well they may have been but not on the day I visited. I had great hopes of a decent picture. This is a bird that is said to have little fear of people and that can be easily approached. This pair where in the middle of a crop field at least a hundred metres away, they weren't moving and I wasn't about to risk being labelled as a selfish togger for trespassing over the crop. Sad world that we live in!

I saw the male Garganey at Waltham Brooks. Good, but brief views, as it weaved in and out of cover along the bank side. It didn't seem to be bothered by my presence and gradually worked its way closer to my position. I thought I was doing well until I raised the camera and it immediately took off for the back of the pool.

A visit to Pulborough Brooks doesn't usually give many good picture opportunities but this time it was rescued by a couple of good views of Jays, never an easy bird to get close to.



Jay - at the bottom of the zigzags


Jay - just to the east of the Hanger


A Skylark concludes my meagre collection of photographs for the last month.






Probably my worst month since I started birding. I don't think its the birds, it's not the camera, so it must be me. Must try harder, if Tiger Woods can make a come back then so can I.





No comments:

Post a Comment