Wednesday 29 May 2019

White Helleborine





Having found my Late Spider Orchid and it still being only eight in the morning I had the opportunity to explore a bit more of Kent. My secondary target for the day was the White Helleborine, which would also be a life tick for me, and being only a few miles from Bonsai Bank I headed over there to begin my search. At least on this visit I would know the shortest route from the car park to the bank.

The Lady Orchids  -  Orchis purpurea were still putting on a good show although many were starting to go over and we have probably passed the peak flowering period.



No shortage of Lady Orchids



Lady Orchid


White dresses and straw bonnets were a great find but unfortunately I was just a few days too late and they were past their best.



Lady Orchid probably Var. albida  -  lacking anthocyanin pigments



Plenty of  Common Twayblades  -  Neottia ovata   around and a few Greater Butterfly Orchids -  Platanthera chlorantha.



Common Twayblade



Greater Butterfly Orchid



Greater Butterfly Orchid



Greater Butterfly Orchid Floret


After much searching I finally found the White Helleborines  -  Cephalanthera damasonium that I had been looking for. Perhaps a bit smaller than I had expected and tending to grow in areas of longer grass, they could be easily missed. However, having seen my first and knowing what to look for I was soon up to about a dozen plants.



White Helleborine



White Helleborine



White Helleborine



White Helleborine



And there was still more to see on the bank. Common Spotted Orchids  -  Dactylothiza fuchsii  were just coming into flower in a few of the more open locations.



Common Spotted Orchid



Common Spotted Orchid



Common Spotted Orchid




Bonsai Bank had delivered once again. I checked the time of my last photograph 09.22. I had driven a hundred miles from home, visited two sites, found and photographed six different orchids, including two life ticks and it wasn't even half past nine. A fantastic morning but what to do next. Lizard Orchids over at Sandwich Bay were a possibility but I was probably a couple of weeks too early. Heath Fritillary butterflies at Blean Wood seemed a better option and with the sky starting to darken I would have to get there quickly. See the next blog.






No comments:

Post a Comment