Thursday 15 August 2019

Squacco Take 2





It was great to see the Squacco early last week but with a minor twitch going on whilst we were there, I wasn't really happy with the pictures that I ended up with. Role on ten days and with the Squacco still present I thought there might be an opportunity for some improved shots. It was better than I expected, only one person watching when I arrived and then I had the bird to myself for nearly an hour. Better still it was fishing in the rife rather than hunting grasshoppers out in the field.






They look such a soft and gentle bird when resting but when in hunting mode the steely eye and deadly finishing remind you that it is from a family of ruthless predators.









Four or five fish caught whilst I watched and a couple of insects, probably dragonflies, plucked out of the air.












It even had to dive in after one fish. Amazing how it comes up so clean after diving through all that weed and slime.






Lots of Little Egrets feeding in the field but no sign today of the Cattle Egrets. The bonus was the local Kestrel, down in the field picking off the grasshoppers and seemingly unfazed by my presence.









I am happy now, it would have been disappointing to see the bird move on without getting a decent record of its presence.




No comments:

Post a Comment