Tuesday 20 April 2021

Moths

 


My first full year of mothing has got off to a slow start with my current year list sitting at just nine moths. Poor return for the number of hours the moth trap has been out. I didn't manage to see any of the winter moths and in fact did not catch anything at the trap in January and February with my best catch being just three moths back on the 21st March.


Looking on the more positive side, five of those moths seen were are also new for my life list. That's not difficult though, as I only started recording moths in September of last year, so I am in the fortunate position that most of what I catch in the early part of this year is going to be new for me.


The five new moths are shown below headed up by the Brindled Beauty, probably the most impressive of those caught.


Brindled Beauty - Lycia hirtaria



With Common Quaker, Early Grey, Hebrew Character, and Small Quaker being the other moths new for me.



Common Quaker - Orthosia cerasi



Early Grey - Xylocampa areola



Hebrew Character - Orthosia gothica




Small Quaker - Orthoaia cruda



Other moths caught were the three below plus another Bloxworth Snout which I did not bother to photograph as it was so badly worn.



Double-striped Pug - Gymnoscelis rufifasciata

Light Brown Apple Moth - Epiphyas positvittana



Pale Mottled Willow - Caradrina clavipalpis


Angle Shades - Phlogophora meticulosa


Hopefully we will see an end to the cold nights over the next week or so and with the weather warming better returns from the traps. Something needs to change soon, we are less than a week away away from my earliest date for seeing Pearl-bordered Fritillary which for me marks the start of the butterfly season.



No comments:

Post a Comment