Sunday 27 June 2021

Catching Up

 



Well the blogs have been a bit thin on the ground this month. I am getting out and seeing lots of things but I seem to have been a bit slow over getting pictures. Also a bit slow on seeing some of the usual spring birds, with no Wheatear and no Swift amongst others and most of the spring seabird migration missed.


Small Tortoiseshell


One of my key targets this spring has been Tortoiseshell butterflies. For the past few years I have been able to say that I had seen every UK butterfly but with the Large Tortoiseshell now seeming to be resident in the UK and certainly being seen regularly around where I live in Sussex, my claim is now in doubt.

The only way to find one is to check out every Tortoiseshell I see. So far I have not been lucky but looking for them, has also made me realise just how far the numbers of Small Tortoiseshells in my area has dropped.

Lots of other seasonal butterflies seen but with the usual problems for a photographer. The Black Hairstreaks wouldn't come down from the tops of the trees, the Dark Green Fritillaries sailed past at speed and the blues were just too active.

I still managed a few decent shots including a male Orange Tip that not only stopped for me but also obliged by holding his wings open, a rare occurrence.


Male Orange Tip



Male Orange Tip



Small Blues and also a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Always good butterflies to catch up with.



Small Blue



Small Blues in cop



Small Pearl-bordered



Large Skipper


Also a few Dragonflies but just shots picked up at opportune moments, there has been no real focus on them so far this year.


Scarce Chaser


Large Red Damselfly

Dave still has an interest in Orchids so I am occasionally tempted to take a photograph. It's only when I get them home and sit staring at them for hours trying to decide if they are Common Spotted or Heath Spotted or some form of hybrid that I realise why I lost interest. Anyway here are some pretty orchids to look at, probably all Common Spotted.


Common Spotted



Common Spotted



This one looking more like a Heath Spotted


And a few I do recognise, Pyramidal, Bee and Frog orchids taken at Fairmile Bottom.




Pyramidal Orchid



Bee Orchid



Bee Orchid



Frog Orchid



The real focus over the last month has been on Moths. Look out for the next couple of blogs, there are lots of pictures of moths to look at.





No comments:

Post a Comment