Friday 25 August 2023

Raspberry Clearwing

 



The Clearwing lures worked their magic again in the few hot days we had at the end of June.

I was looking forward to a record year but then July was windy, cold and wet and I didn't even bother taking the lures out of the freezer.

August arrives and with it a few warmer days around the tenth and eleventh of the month. I wasn't really hopeful, it wasn't that warm and I had missed the flight season for some of the Clearwings, such as the Large Red-belted. However, if you don't try you don't find so it was worth having a go. Raspberry, Red-tipped and Six-belted should still have been around until the mid/end of August.


Raspberry Clearwing - Pennisetia hylaeiformis


Some limited success with a single Raspberry in the trap on the 10th and then three more on the 11th but no sign of the Six-belted or Red-tipped.


Raspberry Clearwing - Pennisetia hylaeiformis



It wasn't the successful year I had hoped for but the Raspberry was a lifer for me and took my year list to six, if I include the Orange-tailed seen at Bromley. The garden list also sits at six with the Orange-tailed and Large Red-belted, in the garden, being the key targets for next year.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment