Thursday 26 August 2021

Bawdsey






A couple of weeks ago Sue and I had the opportunity to spend a few days with family up on the Suffolk cost at Bawdsey. It is usually a good place to go looking for birds but mid August is perhaps not the best time of the year to be finding anything. I did have some luck though, in spotting my first Cuckoo of the year, probably on migration back to Africa, but given my low expectations I wasn't even carrying a camera.

Fortunately I had the moth trap with me and managed to pick up a few new moths and a few I had not seen yet this year. 



Black Arches - Lymantria monacha



Leopard Moth - Zeuzera pyrina



Dingy Footman - Eilema griseola



Scarce Footman - Eilema complana



White-foot Bell - Epiblema foenella




Common Rustic - Mesapamea secalis



Common Wainscot - Mythimna pallens




Knot Grass - Acronicta rumicis



Lesser Swallow Prominent - Pheosia gnoma



Latticed Heath - Chiasmia clathrata




Straw Underwing - Thalpophila matura



Marbled Piercer - Cydia splendana



New Pine Knot-horn - Dioryctria sylvestrella




Ringed China-mark - Parapoynx stratiotata



Rosy Footman - Miltochrista miniata



Pebble Prominent - Notodonta ziczac



It was interesting to see the slightly different mix of Moths I was getting in Suffolk. The Leopard and Black Arches were both new for me as were the micros, White-foot Bell and New Pine Knot-horn. The Lattice Heath and Straw Underwing I have caught both times I put the trap out in Bawdsey yet I have never managed to catch them back home in my Worthing Garden. Better still there were no Heart and Dart and no Willow Beauty which tend to congregate in numbers around my trap back home.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment