Thursday 5 August 2021

July Moths

 



We are still in the doldrums as far as birding goes but the compensation is that this is the best time of year for the insects and for me, this year, the moths are the real interest. I have had brief flirtations with bees, hard to photograph, and flies, hard to identify. I even had a year chasing Orchids but I soon got over that one. Moths though will stick. It's butterflies on a much grander scale. There is so much to learn and to discover and you don't have to put up with the dreaded twitch that seems to blight birding.

The rest of the blog is just a selection of some of the moths seen during July. There is nothing special here, just some memories of the joy that nature can bring.


Where better to start than with the Hawkmoths.


Lime Hawkmoth - Mimas tiliae



Privet Hawkmoth - Sphinx ligustri



Small Elephant Hawkmoth - Deilephila porcellus


Elephant Hawk Moth - Deilephila elpenor


A couple of the rarer ones.


Plumed  Fan-foot - Pechipogo plumigeralis



Scarce Purple & Gold - Pyrausta ostrinalis


A few I hadn't seen before


Clay - Mythimna ferrago



White Satin - Leucorna salicis



Pale Pinion - Lithophane hepatica



Dusky Sallow - Eremobia ochroleuca



New for the garden


Swallow-tailed - Ourapteryx sambucaria



Vapourer - Orgyia antiqua



Scalloped Oak - Crocallis elinguaria



Common Footman - Eileme lurideola



Diamond-back Marble - Eudemis profundana



Common Emerald - Hemithea aestivaria


Orange Pine Twist - Lozotaeniodes formosana



Bramble Shoot Moth - Notocelia uddmanniana



Downland Bell - Rhopobota stagnana



Italian Tubic - Metalampra italica



Rosy Tabby - Endotricha flammealis


I have only included one Pug. I think it is a Wormwood but I have real difficulty identifying these moths. Most of the ones I see are badly worn or are the melanistic form and are beyond my skill level.


Wormwood Pug - Euphithecia absinthiata



And a few I have seen before but which I was happy to have back in the trap again. Not every moth is so welcome. Opening the trap to find that it is full of Heart and Darts or worst still Box Tree Moths is disheartening. There can't be much of the Box Tree moths larval food plant left in the area given the numbers I am seeing.



Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing - Noctua fimbriata



L-album Wainscot - Mythimna l-album




Chinese Character - Cilix glaucata



Blair's Mocha - Cyclophora puppillaria




I am coming to the end of my first full year of mothing. The number of species seen has far exceeded my expectations, by how many, I am not sure but the final result will be in a future blog. I still have a few I am hoping to be able to identify before I close the count.





No comments:

Post a Comment