Tuesday 19 July 2022

Clearwings

 


Two years ago I purchased a set of  pheromone lures to attract Clearwing moths and also a lure for the Emperor Moth. Success has been mixed. That is to say the Emperor lure was an immediate success with ten to fifteen moths attracted each time it was taken out on the commons and the Clearwing lures were a complete failure or at least my use of them was a complete failure with no sign of Clearwings to any lure.

For a time the success with the Emperor moth was enough with some great picture opportunities being obtained.






But then you start to think, am I doing something wrong or have I been sold some duff bungs that have no pheromone content. I had done the research and over the two years had taken the lures on an extended tour of locations in Sussex, Kent and parts of Wales where there was a history of Clearwing sightings. With nothing to show for my efforts I needed a change of approach.

The Emperor moth had been easy, just clip the lure onto the rucksack, choose a hot day and a suitable location and wait for the moths to appear. But Emperor Moths are big and brightly coloured so easily spotted when they do a flyby. The Clearwings are small and for the most part black and are not easily spotted. There was a good chance that the lures had attracted Clearwings and that I had not seen them. I need some way of trapping them to ensure they didn't just fly off after a quick investigation and dismissal of the lure.

The answer was a cheap plastic trap although I could just as easily have made something out of a couple of plastic water bottles. What better place to try out my new toy than my back garden, in the middle of town, in an area with no history of Clearwing sightings. I really had no chance of success.

I decided that targeting the Six-belted Clearwing was my best hope. I loaded up the trap with the API lure and hung it in the apple tree at the bottom of the garden, checking it every hour. At midday on my fourth check there was movement in the trap. Opening it carefully I had two Six-belted Clearwings. How can finding something so small and insignificant give you such a feeling of joy?


Six-belted Clearwing - Bembecia ichneumoniformis



Six-belted Clearwing - Bembecia ichneumoniformis 


Flushed with success I replaced the lure with the MYO to target the Red-belted Clearwing and within the hour I had four in the trap.



Red-belted Clearwing - Synanthedon myopaeformis



Red-belted Clearwing - Synanthedon myopaeformis



Red-belted Clearwing - Synanthedon myopaeformis


It had to be worth trying for a third and with a lot of mature gardens around me the Currant Clearwing seemed the obvious choice using the TIP lure. There was nothing more that afternoon and checking the trap in the morning all I had was one very angry wasp. There was still nothing in the trap by midday so I added the VES lure which would then also give me the chance of attracting the Red-tipped Clearwing as well. As incredible as it may seem, within the hour I had a single Red-tipped in the trap.



Red-tipped Clearwing - Synanthedon formicaeformis
 

It just seems amazing that after two years of looking I find that I can attract the Clearwings to my back garden. The quest is now really on. I have three but there are another twelve to see and I also have a Clearwing garden list which is always a good incentive to keep searching.


Footnote - a second Red-tipped appeared in the trap just after I finished writing this blog but so far no sign of a Currant Clearwing.


Red-tipped Clearwing - Synanthedon formicaeformis

Then the next day just after I had finished adding the footnote I had a Yellow-legged Clearwing in the trap to an AND lure. I had been looking for Orange-tailed. I think that makes me nine Clearwings of four different types in four days. 


Yellow-legged - Synanthedon vespiformis


Given that I live in an area where the Atlas of Britain and Ireland's Moths suggests that no Clearwings are present I think access to these lures will show that Clearwing moths are far more common than we think.

And my garden list moves up to four.




No comments:

Post a Comment