Monday 22 May 2023

Pearl-bordered Fritillary

 


I have seen a few butterflies during the January to March period, mostly Brimstones and Peacocks, but for me the butterfly season does not really start until I see a Pearl-bordered Fritillary. That usually means a trip over to Rewell Wood at the end of April.

This year, with a cold and wet spring, everything seemed to be two to three weeks late. I made trips to Rewell Wood in the last week of April and also the first week of May but there was no sign of the Pearl-bordered. Even on the 13th May I was not having much luck. Four hours walking around the wood had not given me any sightings and it was only late afternoon walking back to the car that I took a detour down a previously unvisited track and came across some signs of Spring beginning to happen.

Three Pearl-bordered seen, only one of which I managed to photograph.


Pearl-bordered Fritillary

The track also gave me views of a couple of moths, the Speckled Yellow which had shown at various places in the wood and the Treble-bar with about a dozen flying in one small area.


Speckled Yellow



Treble-bar

Also seen whilst searching for the Pearl-borders were Painted Lady and Orange Tips


Painted Lady

No Duke of Burgundy butterflies in the glades or in Fairmile Bottom but they are usually a week later than the Pearl-bordered. I will have to give Kithurst Meadow a visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment