Sunday 19 September 2021

Dipper and Black Tern




A few days away hill walking will always make a welcome break but if you choose the right location, you could have the added benefit of being in Dipper country. West Sussex has a lot going for it but sadly that doesn't include Dippers and with Covid restrictions in place it had been over two years since I had seen one.

People that see them regularly probably just take them for granted but for me they are a fascinating bird and I could sit and watch them for hours. The locations, the nests, the feeding techniques and most of all the walking under water, there is nothing quite like it.





This years destination was the Brecon Beacons. You have to do a quick trip up Pen-y-Fan, preferably in the morning, before the crowds start to build up. However, once you get that out of your system there are lots of quiet and remote spots where you will probably not see anyone else all day.






This bird was on one of the fast flowing streams in the waterfall country around Ystradfellte. There are probably dozens of birds holding territory around there but this was the most obliging. 






We watched it feeding for about half an hour before it moved off down river and out of sight.








When I got home I felt there was something missing from the pictures. Then I realised that this is probably the first time I have photographed them outside of the breeding season. There was no beak full of goodies to take back to the nest. It makes a difference so here is one I took a couple of years ago.





Great to see Dippers again and I think this was probably one of my most enjoyable bird watching sessions of the year.


To make up the numbers, a few shots taken a week or so ago down at Medmerry. A juvenile Black Tern, a bit distant but still worth recording.



Juvenile Black Tern



Juvenile Black Tern


also a Ruff


Ruff


and strange as it may seem my first Wheatear of the year.


 
Wheatear.




No comments:

Post a Comment