Wednesday 22 September 2021

The British Bird of Prey Centre

 



Seeing captive and caged birds always leaves me with bad feelings. I know there are valid reasons for keeping some birds in captivity, breeding programs, injured or vulnerable birds and sometimes educational objectives but it is always difficult, seeing them behind glass or netting, staring out at the open skies.

How did we get to this point. Sue and I were in South Wales and the National Botanic Garden of Wales was on her list of places to visit. I knew before we went that it was co-located with the British Bird of Prey Centre but I wasn't really sure if I wanted to see the birds. How much was breeding for release and how much was exploitation and breeding for captivity.

In the end I did have a look around and did watch one of the flying displays. I am still not sure that I like the idea of captive birds but I have to say that the facilities were excellent and the staff obviously really committed to caring for the birds. 

The centres statement about their birds appears to be truthful........ 

All of our aviaries have been designed specifically for each individual species, so will all be slightly different. Most of our birds are captive bred and are therefore used to people. They would not survive if they had to go into the wild. We fly them all daily to give them a chance to be free, but they all like to come home and be warm and fed at the end of the day.

.......but it doesn't answer the question of could they have been released or were they bred to be kept in captivity. Further, if they were bred for captivity is it justified as a way of educating the public about the lives and beauty of the birds.

On the question of educating the public they also have a quote from David Attenborough

“No one will protect what they don't care about; and no one will care about what they have never experienced" - David Attenborough



Some birds from the flying display



Snowy Owl

Like so many of the birds in this blog I hope to see a Snowy Owl in the wild one day. If I do it will really be an achievement and a day to remember. Margaret as she is called was interesting and I am a bird photographer so I took pictures but there was no real feeling of success. Even calling her Margaret somehow degrades the experience.


White-tailed Eagle


This White-tailed Eagle is over 30 years old and has probably been in captivity most, if not all, of her life. However, in the wild she would be lucky to live much beyond 20 years. She is probably more than happy to have a home that is warm and a regular supply of food.


White-tailed Eagle


She may be old but she was still very impressive when flying, particularly when she came in to land with her wing passing about six inches over our heads. 


The third bird we saw flying was a Long-eared Owl but it was a forlorn sight and still crying for food like a chick in the nest. Nothing like the majestic birds I have seen in the wild.



Juvenile Goshawk


The most impressive bird was this juvenile Goshawk. There was no display flying from this bird. It was shown a prey target and it hit it within seconds. It then tried to take a chunk out of the hand of the keeper that was attempting to recover the target. I can see why they wear the gloves.

I didn't go to anymore of the flying displays  but I did walk around the show cages and took pictures of a few of the birds I was interested in. Hence the netting in front of them in the following pictures.


Goshawk

An adult Goshawk, far more frightening than all the other birds there, including the Eagles.


Great Grey Owl

I am hoping to get to Canada and Alaska next year and whilst the chances of success are small, the Great Grey Owl would be a target bird. I really didn't want to see one sitting on a wall bracket in a cage in Wales.


Honey Buzzard


The Honey Buzzard was probably my best learning opportunity of the day. It is not a bird I have seen in the wild and I was really unsure about identifying one. I feel a lot more confident having seen this bird.



Merlin


I felt sorry for the Merlin, so cleaned up his face a bit and made a hole for him to escape through - but only in the picture.



Red Kite


Had to take this one as Sue thought it looked so pretty.


Eagle Owl

This one I freed completely from the netting. It can be done but it takes a lot of work and the quality of the picture is degraded. Worst still, you may not see the cage but I will always know it was there.


There appears to be a lot of these "bird of prey experience" companies opening up around the country. Most of them will be focussed on commercial survival for the first few years and the jury must still be out on the level of contribution they can make to conservation. All I know for sure is that there are a lot of birds being held in cages that could be flying free.

However, from a purely selfish point of view -  would I go back? Possibly, a day photographing the birds both flying and with the nets removed would be an interesting challenge. I would just have to learn to deal with the guilt and shame, that would come from joining the sad looking bunch of long lenses, that should really be out finding their own wild birds. More guilt and shame, that is, than I already have.






No comments:

Post a Comment